Monday, October 5, 2009

Keep It Short

If you plan on calling me, just know that there's a 98% chance that we'll be disconnected after a minute or two.

The electricity cuts off approximately 2 dozen times a day leaving us with the impression, sometimes, that we live in a very beautiful part of Beruit.  The electrical company says that the apartment may not be wired to handle the amount of electricity that we need to live in the apartment....did you get that?  Luckily, there is a way to "open a case", to test whether the apartment is fit to live in, electrically speaking... It will take several months, but in Spanish terms, that's the blink of an eye.

The following is a sample conversation that I've had many times recently:

Delora: Hi, how are you?  I'm so sorry that we got cut off earlier!

Friend:  No problem. What a pain in the #$@ though!  Everytime I call you we get disconnected.

Delora: Yeah, it's really a drag.  So quick, how are you?  Silence...

Lately, I haven't even been able to enjoy these short conversations. Why?  Because of a nice little monopoly called TELEFONICA.  Telefonica reminds me of the ATT monopoly in the US about 25 years ago.  Although our local phone service has been out for 8 days, and we're on the EMERGENCY list, it will take between 8-15 days until the technician will be able to make it to our house. Telefonica provides our landline service and our cable service.  Just one glitch: when you plug in the phones, it blows out the line.  Oops.  And the microfilters that they suggest you buy to keep from blowing out the line?  They don't work either.

Watch your back, César Alierta, Executive Chairman of Telefonica.  There's a new cowboy in town gunning for your job.  He's a man of few words, but he's customer-oriented, focused on service and highly intelligent.  From what I've seen, there's no way he couldn't do a better job.  Here he is:





Thundér Pérkins,  future Executive Chairman of Telefonica

1 comment:

Mdaldegan9 said...

Where can I send my resume? Thunder Enterprises? I think he might be over qualified for the position, but heym that's just my opinion :)